Apply › Requirements
Submit all materials to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) via their online application process:
- ApplyTexas Online Application (Complete this first. The ability to upload other materials will become available after the application is processed.)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Writing Sample
- International students whose native language is not English must also submit TOEFL scores
- For more specifics on how to apply, please review the GIAC page here: https://gradschool.utexas.edu/how-to-apply
- The Michener Center no longer requires GRE scores.
- The UT Application system does not accommodate Interfolio letters. Once you have submitted your application, your recommenders will be sent an email prompting them to upload their letter.
- On the ApplyTexas system, our MFA program is called WRITING (MFA – MICHENER CENTER). We are at the very bottom, under INTERCOLLEGIAL PROGRAMS. Our MFA is separate from that of UT’s Department of English, which has its own MFA program called “Creative Writing/New Writers Project.”
- Decisions are generally made in March, and admitted and wait-listed candidates are contacted immediately by email or phone.
- Applicants who are not offered admission will have their application status posted electronically by GIAC. Please note that this may be delayed due to items GIAC considers still missing from the file (such as missing or as-yet-unevaluated transcripts) but the MCW will have already made a final decision based on the uploaded writing sample and statement of purpose.